Thursday, February 8, 2007

Call Rocks!


I am about to commit myself to dorkdom and more with the following: But I just love being on overnight call for surgery! Last night I got paged into a case of unknown bleeding. The patient had received 10 units of packed red blood cells and was still spewing red stuff from both ends. Pretty gruesome, even I’ll admit. We opened them up and found jejeunal diverticuli (which are not all that common and totally looked cool!). After running the bowel, which basically entails grabbing one end of the large tube and going to the other, we found an ulcer in one of the diverticuli that was the cause of all the patient's problems. A little bowel resection, a few packets of FFP, a little luck and the patient is going to be a ok. Man, I really love this rotation!!!

No comments: